Monday, May 18, 2009

My Old Friend, Mr. Blog

You ever pick up a book that you don't understand one bit, then take a class where the subject overlaps with the book's topic, then revisit the book afterwards, but not as if you were looking to test yourself and how you've developed, but more like you stumbled upon it when looking something up after a reference made in a conversation with your Dad whose interests overlap with yours exactly in the subject matter of this book, like, he's into philosophy and you're into math and the book's title is Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy? When that happens, isn't it awesome that you're like "hey, this totally makes more sense now!"

I've been done with classes for a week now and I had one day of extreme relaxation and satisfaction, then boredom settled in. I don't know what to do with myself. I felt a craving for a movie involving war and death, but friggin' Hollywood Video didn't have braveheart (!?), so I rented the first three episodes of Generation Kill instead. The next day I finished off the series. Sure, seven or so hours of tv will leave you feeling like you have a film of unproductivity slime covering your body, but I loved it. The problem was that I was hoping for something hollywoody and stylized and glorifying things, but this was just so real and made you feel moral hazards and gray areas and decision making hell. It was a bit heavier duty than I was expecting as an escape. Of course, I knew what to expect after seeing the creators' other show, The Wire - one of my favorite shows of all time, but still.

The boredom ends in two weeks when my summer semester starts. Meanwhile I get to dive more into my hobbies. In BJJ, I missed lots of guard passing lessons while studying for finals, which blows, but now I get to know all about leg locks. And in Tango gf and I may take private lessons because we think that's what we need at this point for further growth. There's also a dude in our class who proposed to me that we dance together outside of class for a while. He wants to learn how to follow (the man leads and the woman follows), and I do to, so we can alternate. I figure it'll make more sense in the future if I know what my counterpart is experiencing.

While I'm writing this Jimmy Fallon is bombing on the tv behind me. I hope he turns out better than this because it's just sad to watch. Nah, f*** it, I'll just enjoy watching the struggle.

No comments: