Monday, July 6, 2009

Bloggertainment

My co-blogger is cabin-fevery at the moment and requires entertainment.

A place to kill time: http://boardgamegeek.com/, in case he hasn't been there in the past few hours.

I just gandered at the favorites list, and I've heard of two of the top 50 and played 1. I wonder what those numbers are for aak.

Perhaps he could take inspiration from our shared Jesuit educational background and spend his recovery time like St. Ignatius of Loyola did.

I don't know if Aak can leave the house, but if he can get out he should see the new Star Trek movie. I spent weeks talking gf into going to see it. When I finally got an endorsement from a non-nerd she broke down and went with me last night. I think she liked it more than I did. The entire movie had me wondering about the accuracy of the background events, but I didn't know the original series very well. The only ones I watched were TNG. But they explained things in a way that made it possible, if totally new to the timeline.

This reminds me...While gaming with Aak and a couple of other friends we got into a discussion of what terrible movies we like. When put on the spot to name one of mine all I could think of was Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves. I watched that pile of garbage enough times in the early 90s so the nostalgia value can carry me through the two hours or so. But I have a new response: Star Trek: Insurrection. And I'll go a little further, I liked Insurrection more than I liked First Contact. I fully admit that the latter is a better movie, but I have my preference nonetheless. I think I'm taken with 1) the cheap time-freezing scenes and 2) Picard's love interest with the hot 300 year old cougar.

I have a challenge for Aak: see if you can make a house of cards using only your plastic shark extended arm grabber. It may not be possible.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Yeah, you could probably put "all odd-numbered Star Trek movies" into that category for me. Except I haven't seen #5 and don't remember #1, so maybe not. But I even liked Nemesis, except for the Data plot point.

Anonymous said...

So the St Ignatius reference is to urge Aak to begin/head a cult/spiritual order? I vote for it (especially if it's to be documented on this blog--as well it should!). Imagine the possibilities.