Monday, March 16, 2009

The Know-It-All Dilemma

3/16 Edit: writing this post merely vented steam and prevented me from writing an ill-advised email. Will delete soon enough. 3/19 RE-EDIT: Cut this post down to three questions and a statement.

What can you do with a person who says they don't like you because you and che (non-gender-specific pronoun) are both know-it-alls?

Doesn't J.K. Rowling decide whether her character is gay or not?

Is anybody really entertained or enlightened by Andy Rooney any more?

I am not a know-it-all, though I understand if it seems like it at times; I state strong opinions and often am wrong, but I never take it personally if you disagree.

5 comments:

Donald said...

Remember when we first met? And I hated you? Because you were a know it all? And because you were in love with my girlfriend.

And I kind of agree about the gay thing. I'm sure Rowling had it in the back of her mind, maybe, but revealing it well after the last book was published was a marking gimmick to sell more books. Even if it wasn't, if you want to make a character gay, make him gay. Don't be a coward about it.

But those books suck anyway. I found them unenlightening.

chovak said...

You hated me at that point? I always thought Justin was the one who hated me more. Although if you really thought I was after Christina, I guess you probably would've hated me.

Whether or not Rowling was a coward about showing that Dumbledore was gay is not really the issue. I think it was in the books, if you read a little into the correspondence and close friendship D had with that other dude way back in the day. It's there if you're looking for it.

I think Rowling definitely thought of D as gay, and therefore he was. You're not going to get all "reader's response" lit-crit on me here, are you?

Furthermore, she's not really that great of a writer. The tiny clues of D's sexuality were the best we could hope for. If she had really tried to "make him gay," he would have been a caricature, which would have detracted from the story.

chovak said...

Re: the above comment:

I make points like that and expect them to be challenged. That's part of talking about stuff, for me. I recognize that it sounds know-it-all-y. Sorry? Books and writing are things I have strong opinions about. They're not always correct opinions, but the thing is, if you want to argue with me about them, you have to defend yourself. And please do; I like learning new things that way.

Hatandcoat said...

I gotta be honest with you, I couldn't finish the previous post because the "che" and "chim" were irritating the bejesus out of me.

chovak said...

I gotta tell ya, I doubt you've finished a majority of my posts this year.