Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mexi-chuan Shrimp & Scallions

This weekend H-Mart was having a deal on scallions: 5 bunches for $0.98. Giant was having a sale on frozen shrimp: $8.98 for 2lbs (medium size shrimp). I searched in my Google Reader for recipes for these ingredients and found these two by Mark Bittman:


Both were excellent, but I liked the first one better for the unusually-green-oniony flavor. I had some shrimp left over and the scallions were due to go bad (I had purchased 6 bunches!), so I wanted to make the Sichuan one again. But I had 3/4 of an avocado to use up, plus I wanted more spiciness.

I added chili oil (the kind that you get on the side when you ask for it in Chinese restaurants) to the peanut oil before adding the shrimp. This made for a recurring kick throughout the meal that I enjoyed.

I started to add just a slice of the avocado, but then realized that my other avocado was going soft already. I decided to throw all 3/4 of it into the blender, plus a little lemon juice. I blended and BOOM, guacamole color instead of the vibrant verdancy of green onion. I tasted it and found I'd created a Mexican dish out of a Sichuan one.

It turned out really well. I had it on top of rice, but I'm wishing I had some tortillas to finish off the remainder.

Mexi-chuan Shrimp & Scallions
  • Salt
  • 3 bunches scallions, trimmed
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • avocado (maybe half? play with amount)
  • dribble of lemon juice
  • 1 pounds shrimp, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • one teaspoon of chili oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
First, if using frozen shrimp, take them out of the freezer and into a colander, and put them under cold running water (not too fast a stream). Shake them around every few minutes to distribute the flow of the water. They should be thawed in 15 min.

Boil water. Cut 2 bunches of scallions into 4-inch pieces. When water comes to a boil, dump these into the water and let cook for only a minute (just getting them bright green). Then drain, saving liquid for smoother pureeing. Then plunge scallions into icewater. Then drain again, not reserving the liquid. Put scallions, garlic, avocado, lemon juice, and a little of the scallion liquid into blender and puree.

"Roughly" chop the remaining scallions and cilantro. Peel shrimp if necessary.

Heat oil on high, adding a spoonful of the chili oil (with lots of the chili flakes). When chili flakes begin to sizzle, add shrimp and spread out on bottom of pan. Pinch some salt on top of them. Do not stir (for some reason) until sides look a little pink (a minute or less). Then stir to your heart's content. When everything looks pink, add the "roughly" chopped cilantro and scallions. Stir-fry for a minute. Then add avocado-scallion puree. Season to heart's content. Cook until everything's warm. Serve on rice or in a tortilla.

No comments: