Saturday, March 7, 2009

Tearing It Up 2: Tearing It Down

Here's what I imagined occurred in the minds of the Hatandcoat blog's readers over the past week, in chronological order:
  1. "Huh, no food posts. Aak probably forgot."

  2. "Wait, no posts about the Baltimore Breakfast Feast and the crepes Aak made for it? What's going on?"

  3. "Huh, no food posts, still."

  4. "No food posts. It was kind of a silly thing to blog about anyway."

  5. "No posts so far this week."

  6. "..."

  7. "What the hell is Aak eating? I MUST KNOW."
I apologize for creating a(n imaginary) demand and then refusing to fulfill that (imaginary) demand.

I got sick. Again.

The cold was on the edge of my awareness on Saturday, and so I packed very warm pajamas for my sleepover in Baltimore. I also started taking a multivitamin, echinacea, and zinc. All to no avail. I was feeling fine during the making of the Sunday Breakfast Feast, but afterwards, my sinuses began the long melt downwards. By Sunday evening, I was a puddle of congestion, coughing, and overall bleckiness.

Then I had a snow day, which is clearly evidence for the existence of Providence. I made lentil soup with cabbage, about which I will blog later, perhaps.

I made so much that I ate at least double portions of lentil soup for Monday dinner, Tuesday for all three meals, and Wednesday for all three meals.

I started biking again on Thursday morning, just in time for the warm-up. Very nice.

Now that I'm feeling better (still coughing, but it's not too bad), the question is, do I persist in detailing nutritional decisions and exercise quotients, or do I find another way to fill the empty space on this here blog?

I'm leaning towards stopping. It was interesting to focus so much on exactly how much I was eating, what portion size, and so on. I think I've internalized it pretty well, for now. As for the exercise, recording it or not made little difference in how much I biked, but I liked getting the stats. In a sense, I was trying to "game-ify" my life.

While posting daily was valuable and insightful (to me), I think I could derive some benefit from writing such posts weekly instead of daily. It wouldn't be scientific, but it might just be less annoying to you guys. If I really wanted to get scientific about it, I could enter calorie amounts into a worksheet and get real numbers... which leads into the second reason I'm thinking of stopping: inadequate time to navelgaze.

(I've slimmed down to the point where I can fit into my tightest jeans. I probably won't be able to maintain this state of affairs, but it's nice for today, when I have to wash my standard jeans.)

End Program.

No comments: