Monday, July 28, 2008

A Little Too Comfy

I have been working on my posture lately. Looking like the second ape in on that evolution picture is not a valid way to walk through life. What I have found is that the effort HURTS. If I sit straight up on my spine, it gets a lot of stress. Plus I have to use all sorts of lazy back muscles that just want to hang out. I have intermittently tried meditation ever since college. Every single explanation for how to do it says to sit up straight and relax all your muscles. Well, f$&* you. Sitting up straight takes as much effort as slow burn. Of course, Slow Burn will solve all problems in life, so maybe I should just give in to it.

Where was I going with this...oh, so when I try to sit up straight it lasts for about 2 minutes, then some pretty creative jives step in. My upper body moves from one position to another like a stick shift. I end up slouched waaaay down, so that my ass is pretty close to the front edge of the seat. Today on the subway I was slouched in this way, until my knee was very close to some woman was sitting perpendicular to me. I was reading a magazine, looked up, and noticed her giving me a weird glare out of the corner of her eye. I thought, "what's your problem, you stupid..." then I realized.

This post is in celebration of a new reader. My roommate has actually added this blog and Districted to her rss feeds. Aak and I now have a fan base. God, if this keeps up we might get heads too large to keep upright on a bicycle. One of us might take a dive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are more than a few studies (and websites) that suggest that modern gym exercise / fitness helps distort proper posture. That proper posture is something that should be natural if all your muscles are in proper balance. To that effect, I've seen websites that have routines for rounding out the few specific groups that tend to suffer the most (shoulders and back mostly). Look for them.

Hatandcoat said...

Duly noted, reader #2. My posture issues are not from past gym doings, but bad general walking & sitting habits. If I were to strengthen back & shoulders I would have stronger muscles where necessary to change these habits. If what you say is true, the shaolin & the Wu-Tang can be dangerous.