Monday, September 8, 2008

I Want to Ride My Bi-Cycle, I want to Ride My Biiiiike...and Fighting

I used to think that it would be a good idea to be a regular biker, but based on Aak's experiences alone I'm pretty well convinced it's a terrible one. So far, he's been called rude, yelled at by the good people of the metro, gotten horrendous road rash, and another bad experience that I can't remember now. I think he blogs about bad bike experiences more often than I blog.

I bought my bike from craigslist needing some fixes. Apparently it needs to be scrapped altogether. That's what the guys at the store told me. Bummer. I want to take up off road mountain biking. Also, despite my opening paragraph, I do still think that biking would be a good way to get around the city. It just carries so much s*** with it.

The rest of my post will be about fighting, specifically the UFC, so the uninterested can just skip.

My interest in Mixed Martial Arts, MMA, reminds me of how susceptible I am to marketing. I subscribe to some of the MMA discussion forums and they talk about the other promotions, but I only care about the UFC, with a couple of exceptions (I'm a big fan of Fedor). That is, of course, because they're the best marketers out there. I do get extremely irritated at their hustler tactics, but they work. For instance, I repeatedly hear "this is the MOST ______ fight in UFC history!" Well, no s***. The sport's like 15 years old, and less than half that in its current format. But, like I said, that crap works. I'm in. I'll take all the crap they give me. When I turn on the TV I immediately check spike on the off chance that they're rerunning something, or channel 20 on the off chance that UFC Wired will be on. I feel like moldable putty, but I do wish there were a 24 hour UFC channel.

The UFC's light heavyweight division gets me all giddy when I think about it. At the top of the heap at the moment is Forrest Griffin who is an obsessive workaholic with probably above average natural talent. Well, he probably has heaps of natural talent compared to me for instance, but I'm talking in comparison to his peers. I gotta respect the hell out of that guy. But when I look through the list of competitors...Man! Here are the official top ten rankings for the Light Heavyweights on sherdog.com (yet to be updated after Evans knocked out Liddell this weekend): Forrest Griffin, Quinton Jackson, Lyoto Machida, Chuck Liddell, Mauricio Rua, Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans, and Sukodjou. The UFC matchmaker, Joel Silva must have the most fun job in the world. I can't imagine it would be that hard, but it would be SO much fun. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to pit these guys against each other for a living.

On a topic aside from the Light Heavyweights, the UFC seems to have shown Matt Serra less than his fair share of respect. Yes, he is nowhere near as good as MMA God GSP, but he was the champ. And while the champ he pulled out of one fight due to injury, so they gave GSP the interim title. One fight. The only fight he has had since winning the title was the GSP rematch. That's it. The UFC teases us with a showdown btw him and Matt Hughes, and that would be great, but c'mon. I don't know if he belongs in the Welterweight upper tier, but face him off against Koscheck or Sanchez or Fitch to find out. Yes, a fight with Hughes would do sort of do that, but please at least make that happen. I just feel like that guy has been hosed. Give the former champ a fair shake.

I'm also very curious how well Carlos Condit would do in the UFC.

No comments: