Monday, September 15, 2008

Naggard, or Nudging a Laggard

Hatandcoat does not receive as many posts as Districted. Get with the program, boy! Even if it's about some damn word or some boring fighting chatter.

Here's what I'm learning from being a fight fan over time: strategic thinking in practical use. At a recent UFC event there was a fight between lightweights Kenny Florian and Roger Huerta. The former is a very polished, hardwarking, knowledgeable fighter, while the latter is more of an emotional charge-forward type (though probably plenty knowledgeable and hardwarking in his own right). Being perhaps an inferior charge-in brawler, Kenny Florian decided that the technical and elusive route would be smarter. He won. I read about the fight after it happened and pretty much plagiarized the fight analysis here, but I watched on youtube last night and saw what they were talking about. He was aggressive in certain situations, but only when he needed to be and when he wouldn't get caught with a massive punch. Smart game planning from the Greg Jackson camp has led to 2 victories over Chuck Liddell and is probably largely responsible for the welterweight dominance by George St. Pierre. Randy Couture is a heavyweight champ at 45 and a consummate student of the game, as is one of his pupils Forrest Griffin.

When I play games requiring tons of strategy I have a hard time focusing on one unifying game plan. Poker, Chess, Settlers of Cataan, Scrabble, and other such games lead to me making semi-thought out decisions at moments of truth. I think fighting helps me think in those terms because 1) I'm watching it over time and basics are gradually trickling in (plus I've studied Martial Arts a little), and 2) I'm excited at the moment of viewing because of the action and the basics are trickling in. When I've spent a good deal of time watching this stuff and reading about it, I find that it's easier for me to focus when I return to out and out strategy games like the ones I mentioned above.

Over gchat Aak has informed me that turtles can breathe through their butts.

No comments: