Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night: Couldn't Study Edition

I had 40 pages to read for 11/5, but I was stuck with an 11/4 mindset. I could not stop wondering about the election.

Some of my roommates were not very interested. They preferred to watch the House marathon on USA, letting me flick back to CNN or FoxNews during the commercial breaks.

(Yes, FoxNews. I wanted to see how morose they were. I was not disappointed. I especially liked how they concentrated on the few Congressional races that Republicans won. Whenever they had to report a state going to Obama, they got mopey.)

(That's not to say that CNN was much better. CNN's coverage was so booooooring, I couldn't argue with my roommates when they said they'd prefer watching an Englishman limp around a hospital. CNN's anchors were so robotic. No enthusiasm. That was disappointing. MSNBC turned out to be much much better.)

Then my other roommate came home and ran into the living room, saying "What's going on! What I miss? What's... what are you watching?"

I pointed at her and said to my other roomies: "This is the enthusiasm I was looking for!" I happily turned it back to MSNBC just as Obama's win was announced.

"AHHHHAAHAAHHHHHHH!" I and the latecoming roommate screamed. We jumped around and hugged and highfived and screamed some more. It was no U Street celebration, but hey, it was exciting nonetheless.

Stayed up, watched McCain apologize for the "associations" attacks, and heard Obama reach for the stars. I didn't sleep until about 2am. Test was 10am, and, ehh, what the heck. Who cares about cultural anthropology when you saw History made last night?

No comments: