Friday, November 21, 2008

Guest Post 2: "Point In Case"

Just to follow-up on my blog entry, the most fabulous thing happened this week. My theory was proven correct (of course, as a scientist I should right the disclaimer that nothing in this world is ever PROVEN, it's just SUPPORTED...whatever...this is practically proof). In the very same bathroom mentioned in the previous post regarding bathroom etiquette and signage. A year or more ago, they decided to 'improve' our bathroom. These improvements included a simple removal of the wall-mounted unit that normally includes mounts for toilet paper, seat protectors and the disposal for tampons and pads. This was replaced with a double-roll toilet paper dispenser SANS seat protector holder (which, now, by-the-way, is now perched on top of said 'new-and-improved' TP dispenser in it's manufacturer's cardboard packaging (which, I find hilariously named 'Rest Assured' seat covers, produced by PROTECTO...sounds like a cartoon superhero), and SANS disposal. Now, and pardon the forthcoming visual, ladies have to wrap up their items, carry them out of the stall and throw them in the trash by the sinks. Not a very private endeavor. At any rate, I go to use the restroom and I notice a green plastic wrapper for a pad on the floor of the stall. I think to myself "Boy, wouldn't it be funny if someone were doing this just to make a stand that they want a little garbage can in the stall to spare us the embarrassment of toting used sanitary items (which are SO not sanitary!) around in semi-public?". Sure enough, trip No. 2 to the bathroom reveals a neatly TP-wrapped, used pad on the floor. Trip No. 3 (hey...I drink a lot of coffee, what can I say), reveals yet another wrapped, used, pad and a note from man-eating-doctor (signed and everything) firmly stating 'Please put tampons and sanitary napkins in the trash.' And I think: this is the perfect storm. Let's see if the sign actually works. Under my theory the perp. is either a) ignorant (in the original sense of the word, H&C) or b) lazy/inconsiderate/moronic/nasty (or all of the above) and in both cases, signage won't matter. Trip Nos. 4 and 5 reveal an accumulation of used sanitary napkins despite the sign. Glory, you ask? Well yes, but the real glory, is that the next day, there was a little trash can in the stalls. But the signs remain...

No comments: