Sunday, November 2, 2008

This Post Was Supposed To Be On Districted

But the forthcoming stylings are too varied for my coblogger.

A funny thing on the front page of the Washington Post: John McCain's goal is to keep black people out of the white house. "John McCain faces and enormous task in trying to prevent Barack Obama from winning the White House and becoming the first African American president in the nation's history." Just some funny wording I noticed in passing that I decided to point out.


Apparently there is a comedian somewhere who jokes "I have news for you, hiking is just walking." I like it much as a hobby sometimes, but it can be a little boring after a while. As far as I can tell the Appalachian Trail is not all that interesting. After so much time walking on a rocky path it's not all that interesting. For the first time in a pretty long while yesterday I got bored of hiking. Gf pointed out to me that hiking is so much more fun when you have a peak to reach. I agree. You do all this work and you struggle and you get to the top, eat some lunch, and look at the farms below you. Then on the way down you feel a little spent, like you've reached your day's sublimity. Months ago our first hike together was Old Rag. That was great. I understand that it's extremely crowded usually, but we strategically went on Easter Sunday.

I haven't changed much since childhood in my bug curiosity. A highlight of yesterday's excursion for me was when we stopped to read a guidepost and found a colony of inchworms wandering around. They move so interestingly. We decided they must all have incredibly fit abs. At one point there was one larger one and one way smaller one. The smaller one was doing a tentative back and forth thing, acting like maybe a newborn or a toddler. We thought such limited movement was all he was capable of, but then the big brother decided he was going to plow right over him. Then the little guy scurried like I have never seen an inchworm move.

I'm going to dedicate myself to 15 minutes of meditation per day. It doesn't seem like much. I'm not sure I want to do it all that much, but it seems to bring benefits with it. I just did a quick look online to find something cool to link to here. I thought "hmm, what's the difference bewteen regular old meditation and transcendental meditation?" Turns out Transcendental Meditation is a friggin' trademark!

No comments: