Monday, December 1, 2008

Post Thanksgiving

Much of Thanksgiving was spent in the bathroom. I went to the gf's parents' place and someone in attendance tracked in one of those 24-48 hour bugs that completely levels you and empties your insides. Fun, fun. Gf and I are normally chatty when together, but the entire 4-hour drive home was in silence because talking was too painful for both of us.

I think my life is coming full circle, or at least my driving-listening habits. Along the way home I was in no mood for music. Instead I had a craving for talk radio. That didn't pan out at first, so we listened to classical for a while until we later found Prarie Home Companion. Yep, that's right. I'm in my 20s and I chose the two stops on the car radio dial that remind me of my mother. Garrison Keillor was a fixture in my home growing up. The man with the world's noisiest nostrils make me feel like it's Sunday afternoon, I'm playing Baseball Stars on the NES and in the other room I can hear that my Mom has NPR blaring in the kitchen while doing housework. But we were in the mood for relaxation the other night and found it.

I'd like to know if other people have the following experience. When I have a window open on my computer, there's often a pause while the computer is farting around trying to execute its next move, such as logging off my current page or loading a new one. Since I'm pretty impatient, that pause is plenty of time for me to decide that I want to look up something completely new. I then rapidly try to type a new url, usually wikipedia.org, before it loads the next page. It's a quick race against the comp that I just won about a minute ago. I do it all the time.

No comments: