Saturday, January 17, 2009

Backwards Thinking

Well, that was disappointing. All Hatandcoat admitted to was being argumentative. (Even though he's still clearly a prescriptivist. Ask him sometime about when he tried to speak with "perfect grammar.")

And it seems that Hatandcoat is reluctant to post for the time being about anything, while he figures out a certain situation (teaser: it has to do with BJJ). So I guess I must take up the slack again and provide the meager readership with some randomosity:

I spent the week up in Timonium, while commuting with a borrowed car every day to school. Timonium and environs are part of my old stomping ground. It was neat to drive down streets that I half-remembered. It was nostalgic, finding that I knew what roads were what at the intersection of Old Bosley and Pot Springs Road, even though the only signs were stop signs. I vividly remembered driving the same way, many times before.

I think it's the same feeling that I read about in books. The narrator goes back to his hometown and meets up with the girl he knew before, and they take a walk, just like they always did, and they reminisce about hearing the frogs in the summer. I feel that way about Pot Springs, Dulaney Valley, Charmuth, even some stretches of Joppa. I wonder, do people my age have memories more of walks or of drives?

No comments: