Sunday, January 11, 2009

I'm Back

After too much time off from my favorite hobby, I have now resumed my training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I couldn't be more excited. At the moment I'm frustrated because I went to class the other day but the teacher was sick and class was cancelled. That was my 3rd class. For the other two, I showed up at the scheduled time then the teacher moseyed around and we eventually got started.

I remember when I was in high school and a friend of mine and I would go to the gym to lift weights. We would do a set, chat for a while, go get a drink, sit around, chat, do a set, check out some girls, chat, etc. Then years later I did body for life for a couple months which taught me the value of having and sticking to a plan for a work out. Wasted time is the enemy. I love wasting time sometimes - today has consisted of watching Karate Kid II then the Eagles game then gchatting gf then blogging then eating candy and making coffee that I don't need. But not when there's something I want. And with Jiu Jitsu I want it.

I'm also excited that there's a sport that I can do as an adult. I sorely miss the weekend days as a kid when my friends and I would play football for hours then go to our respective homes for dinner. Those hours were - no joke here - some of the best times of my life. More recently I played tennis occasionally with a good friend. I love just forgetting everything and concentrating on the sport at hand for a time. Nowadays I have no sports friends except gf who is a runner. That's great, but running just doesn't cut it for me. I need excitement and not just boring and meditative.

The Eagles are up 10-8 going in to half time. :)

No comments: