Sunday, January 25, 2009

Things I Learned from My Linguistics Class

  • The UN in UNHAPPY is morphologically different from the UN in UNLOCK.

    HAPPY = happy
    UNHAPPY = not happy

    LOCK = to fasten, to secure (with a lock)
    UNLOCK = to UNDO the fastening of (a lock)

    So UN plus an adjective means the opposite of that adjective, but UN plus a verb means to revert back to the state before that verb was done. You can't UNDO something unless it was already done.

  • There is confusion among twenty-year-olds about the past tense of the euphemism for "to ejaculate." Some think the verb is "to come" and therefore the past tense is "came". Others argue vehemently that it is "to cum" and the past tense is "cummed."

    I think the noun form can be spelled "cum" and the verb form "come," and I see no reason why the past tense shouldn't be "came." Furthermore, the Japanese slang word is "iku," which means "go," and I like the contrast of Western "coming" and Eastern "going."
There are certain uncouth words that should, by now, be standardized into dictionaries: "cum" and "jizz" for example. Mainly because I want to use them in Scrabble.

No comments: