Friday, January 2, 2009

Words = Frustration

More games posting.

A couple days before the edge of your seat throwdown, I hung out at Aak's place and played some new game he got for xmas called...damn, I can't remember the name. It was this game with trivia cards containing the answer at the bottom of the card and six clever clues to the answer. The person whose turn it is gets one clue at a time and he/she moves ahead the number of spaces determined by how many clues it took. There's a limited number of guesses available.

We started playing and his roommates filtered in and joined. The game was me vs. Aak with them as "freelancers," or available to answer for both teams.

On of the clues was "Though my name suggests that I am dormant, I contain plenty of creatures."

One girl immediately said "Dead Sea." I say no and we get further clues. More clues come and more discussion leads to "Dead Sea...[talking, talking]...Dead Sea...[talking, talking]...Dead Sea."

Now, the clue was effective in making us think of the Dead Sea, granted, but I ruled it out as the final answer because Dead ≠ Dormant. Anyone who thinks that "dead" implies "dormant" would be wrong and as their teacher I would put red ink on their paper. Of course, the answer is Dead Sea.

The most frustrating thing was that nobody saw my point in subsequent discussion. Aak says he understands but finds the clue "acceptable."

Suck it.

2 comments:

chovak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chovak said...

BRABBLING: noisy arguing or hair-splitting. From obs. "brabble,"to argue noisily about insignificant things".