Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Miso Oatmeal

I've been on a cheap cooking kick lately. I finally got around to hard-boiling eggs for the week on Sunday; I've had an egg or two every day. I've also been eating steel-cut oats every morning. But even in the reduced-time way to cook them, they still take 25 minutes to make, and that's a lot of my morning. So, Monday night, I made about three servings of oatmeal. I wanted to see how long I could stretch it. I had the second serving today and, after microwaving in water, I thought they tasted just as good as fresh.

Instead of just going with sugary oatmeal, I have been trying to make miso oatmeal. It's not incredible, but, if I get sick of maple syrup in my oats, I can always break it up with miso flavoring.

Miso Oatmeal

steel-cut oats
dashi (Japanese seafood-based powder stock)
miso (red or white)
  1. Add oats to a pot, then cover with 2 times as much water as oats.
  2. Sprinkle dashi into water and stir. (this is instead of the normal pinch o' salt) The key is not to make it really overwhelming, just a hint of flavor is good.
  3. Begin simmering. I don't cover it since it usually boils over if I do.
  4. Every five minutes, stir.
  5. After 25 minutes, take off heat and cover.
  6. Separately, warm up some water (just a couple ladlefuls).
  7. When the water is steaming, mix in a spoonful of miso.
  8. Add miso mixture to oatmeal. Enjoy.

No comments: