Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hypersocial

I'm going to have to wean myself off caffeine now. I'm perfectly happy drinking a ton of coffee throughout the day. I drink 2 in the morning, and extra couple while at work, and a whole pot while at home studying. It's great and I think it has minimal effect on me except maybe in waking up in the morning. I may now need the boost to feel normal. But I now feel like I'm so in the habit that it's just so natural.

I held off from coffee drinkerdom for a long while because I figured it was an inevitable thing to become hooked eventually. Yes, I know this is wrong, but it seemed that every adult alive is completely hooked. My Mom gets headaches when she doesn't have hers. So, I figured I was merely delaying and waited for the time to come. That time came with the introduction of coffeemate.

I too feel sometimes like a High-kick-a-you-kick after a day of studying solo. The other day I spent a whole day reading out of a damn textbook in my apartment. By the end I felt physically restless and cabin-fevery. It's those times when I most realize the value of social contact. I think that this habit of a solitary pursuit is making me more social. I go for broke more around people after being away from them for a while. I strike up more convos, tell more jokes, listen more, tell more stories, ask more questions, etc. And it's genuine. It helps with the sales mindset that waiting tables relies on. That night gf and I had our weekly tango lessons and I think it was the single best class we've had.

About tango (if our massive readership has any experience), I find the close embrace far easier than the open embrace. Open E felt more mechanical and technical and made it way harder to simply feel the music and improvise. It's possible that it was simply harder for the first classes where we were getting the basics down and now it's just clicking, but it seems more than that. When we go back to doing open E it still seems technical, though it's easier having done closed E for a couple classes now. I feel like open will be a lot of flashy fun later when we know what we're doing. Right now, though, I loooove feeling the rhythm of the music and dancing accordingly. My lower back starts to hurt because I'm in the habit of bending down to my partners (I'm 6'1"), and I need to rectify this tendency, but it's a blast.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Minimal effect, eh? Weren't you the one with the twitter entries about insomnia the other day?