Monday, October 13, 2008

'Rent Rage

Remember when H&C revealed that he doesn't understand road rage? Well, tonight I found something I don't understand: getting upset at your parents impinging on your life, post-college.

Today, a twentysomething friend of mine got a call from her mom....(content deleted)

While my friend complained, I was supportive. I thought it was kind of absurd of her mom to ask such a thing and get upset about the two-hour lag. But whenever I get into discussions like this, I'm always half bewildered. "Why get so involved?" I think.

My mom definitely needs lots of help around her house, so I should probably go visit more often. My dad doesn't need that much help, but I'm sure he'd like it if I visited more often. But I don't visit or help out much; I don't have a car, I have a very busy life of my own, and I don't ask much from them, either. If my mom wants help around the house each week, I'd be happy to pitch in for a neighborhood handyman to do it rather than spend time, money, and gas going all the way out there.

My friend lives close to home. She gets the benefits of living at home and living on her own (food is available at her mom's, privacy available at her place), but she reaps the disadvantages of both (life is impinged upon, rent must be paid). Therefore, while she continues to avail herself of the good things about living close to home, she must take the bad things, too. If she doesn't like the bad stuff, don't take the good stuff.

Maybe she likes the good stuff a lot more than she dislikes the bad stuff. Maybe she likes being close with her mom. Maybe the closer relationship is worth the occasional headache. I'm sure it is. It doesn't make it any easier, knowing that, for me to relate to the situation.

No comments: