Monday, August 18, 2008

Bike Musing #2

Hooray! Mr. Hatandcoat returns! Half of our readership is relieved!

And now I bring you Bike Musing #2.

I was biking on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, and I came up to the bridge. There's a dip in the road where it goes under the Metro/MARC tracks. The first time I went under that bridge, a bus nearly grated my face. Now I always take the sidewalk tunnel.

On either side of Georgia is a kind of tunnel that is really fun to bike through--when no pedestrians are in the way, of course. The walls are mosaicked and painted bright colors. The sidewalk is made of interlocking fat-S shapes. The atmosphere of the construction of these tunnels is completely different from the rest of Georgia, which is dominated by strip malls.

I almost think I'm taking a tunnel into Germany.

When I studied abroad in Bavaria, I rode a bike to the high school every school day. I fell many times; I was an uncoordinated child. But there was one section of the ride that I really liked. It was a bike tunnel, set apart by a wall from the road it ran alongside. At the time, I didn't realize what I was looking at. The roads had been constructed to accommodate a steady stream of bicycles. Wow. Think about that.

Here is a picture I took while riding my bike behind my exchange student. (No wonder I fell so much.) I am just emerging from the bike tunnel after her.

No comments: