Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Too Many Exits, a Play by AAK

I am at a crossroads. Except it's not just a crossroads. It's a multi-highway interchange with 64 cloverleaf off-ramps and no signs. My only clear choices are to exit or not to exit.

This is about my job. I'm a paralegal, which sounds cool, like "paramedic," "paranormal" or "paratrooper." Unfortunately it doesn't train you how to be a supernatural, flying EMT but instead has something to do with lawyers.

Back to that maelstrom of highway concrete I now face: should I continue working at a job I have no reason to be at, or should I ______? Options include:
  • go to school UBER-full-time, taking all the classes I can;
  • work freelance as a pro-photographer;
  • do editing work for a translation/publication company;
  • become a wedding photog's assistant;
  • return to Kaplan and teach;
  • tutor ESL;
  • find some bullshit job to do on campus
I guess the only reason to stay at my job would be "the economy," whatever that is. I just got promoted, and my job security increased tenfold. If I stayed a paralegal, even part-time, I'd be assured an income through the "recession" or whatever we're having.

I'm also afraid that any other option involves too much work for not enough payoff and might become a detriment to my studies.

I don't have an answer to this situation; just announcing the situation is enough for a blog, correct?

No comments: