Thursday, August 21, 2008

Renewed Enthusiasm and Non-Sequiturs

Between the two of us over two blogs, this is the 6th blog today and the 18th in four days. Maybe it's because the two of us are both at a crossroads and have a lot of nervous energy to get out. Maybe it's because Aak is a compulsive writer and when I have a lull he writes me e-mails saying "blog today." I know that my style is to obsess over something for periods and then wane. The waning part is something that I'm working on (but I like the obsessive part). So, this is my second spurt of blogging fun. The first was when Aak and I started.

I have found that blogging is simply fun. I didn't expect it to be this enjoyable. It's really a blast to bang these things out then go back an read them later. It really helps that it's not a solo project. I knew that a solo blog wouldn't have gone anywhere. I needed someone to react to; specifically someone who would get into it as intensely as Aak eventually would. Well, more like immediately.

I ran the Exorcist steps yesterday. I haven't done that sort of thing since college crew. It was hard and I couldn't help but take some rest between trips. There were 3 other people doing the same thing over the course of my 20 minutes or so there. Apparently it's an exercise mecca. Right next to the stairs there's a pipe that seems to be a popular pull-up bar because 2 of the guys were using it. Having run those steps, I would not be at all shocked if there's a news story of some sore-legged college kid stumbling on a down-trip while working out there. When you get tired it gets kinda scary. Today's workout will be some low-altitude pushups and situps.

I can't wait to read our reader's next food blog. She's making chili braised pork shoulder nachos for her bf. Mmmmmmm.

I have never been mugged. I've lived in cities all of my life, but it has never happened. I know that it's a very good possibility that it will happen sooner or later but it just doesn't seem a possibility to me. I imagine that that's the sort of thing that completely alters your view on things. I can't imagine how unsafe I'd feel all the time if I had an experience where someone pulled a gun or a knife on me. I feel pretty fortunate now that I think about it. When I was taking martial arts there was a guy with a bullet scar from a time when he was mugged and ran away. I don't remember the situation as I remember it, but he wasn't being an idiot in running. I've never had any sort of near death experience. As I wrote that sentence I had a sneaking suspicion that I blogged about that topic before at some point. I don't remember.

I saw a squirrel fall from a tree a couple months ago. I was walking to work in the morning and he just fell from a branch right in front of me. He probably fell about 20 ft or so. It was so funny and took me by such surprise. The funniest part was that he made a plopping sound when he hit the ground. In my memory he fluttered like a leaf then plopped. He was fine when he landed and scurried away.

No comments: