Friday, August 1, 2008

It's Working!!!

As I write this my back is straight. Occasionally I'll be completely ignorant of my posture while sitting at my desk, then just notice that I'm sitting up straight. Awesome! I don't know if it's a mental thing (my subconscious is warming up to the idea) or if my lower back is becoming physically stronger. Well, both, obviously.

When walking down the street I also put my shoulders back and my head up consciously. By default I normally walk staring at the ground, noticing things on the grounds like patterns for my footsteps to follow. It doesn't have anything to do with timidity or shyness...or at least I don't think. But in recent weeks it's been a totally different experience to notice all the people that I walk by. It's a little unnerving. For a couple of days I was following a challenge that I read somewhere to make eye contact with people that I see and not break it until they either pass by or break it themselves. I was astounded by the amount that people avoid eye contact, but I was completely unnerved by those who didn't. There was some random guy on a bench who fully engaged me in a stare down and freaked me out a little bit. It takes a new type of attitude if you're going to pull such a thing off.

Well, now my back's a little slouched. What do you expect?

I've gotten a little feeback on my blogging. Apparently the non-sequiter thing does not go over well with the reader sometimes. I've been treating this blog as a stream of consciousness receptacle and enjoy the jumps while writing them. I have wondered how annoying they can get for anyone reading it, though (the feedback came from a direct question: "are the non-sequiters irritating?"). Due to my habit, any given topic that I'm writing about feels like it's getting stale after a paragraph or two. That's how I converse, that's how I write, and that's how I read. I plan to write single topic posts in the future.

My back's straight again. I have a rotation of body positions while sitting, and the ram-rod straight option has inserted itself into the mix. This means that I have established my good posture beachhead, and I will now fight my way in from the shore.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I like the non sequiturs. They make me laugh.