Saturday, August 9, 2008

Blogger Boggler

That's just hilarious. I was gchatting with aak when he wrote some sort of japanese word meaning "okay" or "I understand" or something like that, and I wrote that gibberish back. Maybe if I were to do that a lot longer I could randomly happen upon some random languages like the philosophical monkey that could conceivably type War & Peace.

I was going to blog about what confuses the hell about me about the urinal where I'm working, but aak sort of talked me down. Perhaps mercifully for our vast readership.

That conversation did lead us to wondering why having a small bladder is somehow a sign of lower masculinity. If you pee a lot then you have a woman's bladder supposedly. I drink a lot habitually and pee all the frickin' time, so I don't judge people on that basis. My theory about it is that if you pee a lot then you have a smaller bladder which is a biologically feminine thing, and thus you are feminine with feminine parts. Truly insulting individuals may go ahead and put the toilet seat down for you.

In an issue like this we can only have theories and never really get to the bottom of it. That really bugs the s$%* out of me. Aak says that you can observe it over time in yourself or other people around you and see where that attitude stems from in that subgroup. Perhaps over time it will be representative of general human attitudes. And who knows, years down the road someone can make a thorough study of the issue and make this post a point in a timeline toward figuring it out. Screw all that. My issue is so much more riveting because it could potentially be figured out. Not realistically because the steps to make it happen would just be weird, but it's doable.

Screw it. Here's the deal (warning, this may be kinda gross for some). Whenever I go to pee at that urinal the sensor for automatic flushing makes a noise about 3 seconds in acknowledging my presence and letting me know that it will flush when I'm done my business. It then waits patiently for completion before crashing down like Niagara Falls. I tested it by moving slightly to the side once to see if it would activate, and it did. But the flushing took so long that it outlasted my work. Really, really long. I was actually annoyed that it was s'darn wasteful of water. So, the thing that confuses me is that most of the time I approach the urinal it's dark yellow from the previous patron. That thing flushes for so long after it has clicked on that even if it starts flowing at the same time you do (which it shouldn't unless you move to the side), I can't imagine it not outlasting you. And I certanly can't imagine someone peeing for so long that it can't at least be somewhat diluted and not so dark. And I damn skippy can't fathom that this happens repeatedly. Wtf, mate?

There's space enough behind the urinal for me to park a lawn chair and watch what goes down over time. I envisioned a few moments of people zipping up, turning around, seeing me, and firing me. Or I could hunt down a very discreet camera to post there. That'd definitely go well. The thing is, though, that though this question cannot be answered because of social weirdness, it could be found out after a day or two of research. The above question that aak finds so much more interesting will never be definitively solved.

No comments: