Sunday, August 3, 2008

Disco Stu's Got a Blog For You

I wish I had better musical instincts, or a better ear, or whatever could fix the following. I was walking to the store today to buy ingredients for Lasagna. Along the way I had Staying Alive by the Beegees in my head. I was mentally playing the refrain: "stayin' aliiiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiiiiiiii-i-i-i-iiiiiiiiiiiiii-ive" and trying to figure out the penultimate note. I was about 80% sure that it was lower than the previous note, but had to keep repeating it to be sure. Some nagging part of my brain kept questioning whether or not the i-i-i part just ended up on the same note as before. The problem was that I had no way of knowing if I was right. I had no way of anchoring it to other notes in my head.

Ok, so it's "sequitur" and not "sequiter." I'm a pretty good speller, and a pretty good proofreader, but sometimes it just gets too tedious. The other day I fired off a cover letter that I later realized had a typo on it. Whoops.

Speaking of tedious, girlfriend is a scientist who fills pipettes and tubes and things. Today I helped her mix 12 samples then put them in containers, then mix them, then empty those containers carefully making sure that cells don't get stuck to the walls. Oh my GOD! Granted, when I do tedious things I obsess to a ridiculous extent which makes it like chinese water torture on my soul. And of course you develop skills to do such things more quickly over time. Maybe science simply attracts the meticulous type who notices things like spelling errors in blogs.

It's gonna be cool to see you without the facial fuzz again, aak. Well, to tell the truth I was indifferent to it. When I saw your moving friend's new beard I thought it looked cool because it gave him a strong chin (which he called the nicest thing I have ever said to him), but yours was just kind of a somehow unimportant facial feature. Come to think of it, it made your head look really huge. Like a tough boxer who could take a punch.

Tell me, was the Jason Bourne comment a reference to our last dueling blog?

I feel like your last blog had a rant about portmanteau words. This is apparently a thorn in the aak side. A Thaakside.

1 comment:

chovak said...

Your memory serves you well. It was the most "non-sequitur" thing you've ever written in a blog, so I thoought it bore mentioning.