Tuesday, February 10, 2009

80%

No, "80%" does not refer to the percentage of Aak posts... although that might be accurate.*

I've neglected to mention another part of my overall strategy in this program of eating and exercise: the 80% rule.

Somebody told me that it's an old Chinese saying that you should only eat until you're 80% full. I happen to know that the Chinese have gone through some low-rice times in their day, so I take this adage to be the wisdom of the poor. I also thought it made sense because, long ago, someone told me that you don't really feel food in your stomach until 20 minutes after you swallow it.

Now I think there's another reason that the 80% rule works: it prepares you for hunger.

When I gorge myself, I find I get sharp pangs of hunger just a few hours later. This might be psychological. But it might be that my stomach stretched during the meal and then feels really empty afterward. If I stuff myself at dinner, I'm more likely to have a large late-night snack.

Whereas if I only eat to 80% capacity, I still feel a little (20%, for the math-unsavvy) hungry. Since I stay a little hungry afterwards, I can deal with being hungrier later.

Does that make any sense? Is there science behind this idea? I wonder.

Today's Meals

Breakfast: hard-boiled egg with menmi*, bowl of Puffins with skim milk

Lunch: more than I probably needed of Japanese curry (chicken, celery, carrots, potatoes, jalepeno peppers, green pepper, and curry sauce) over white rice

Dinner: big salad w/half an avocado and red wine vinegrette like yesterday, small bowl of white rice with a little plum/sesame flavoring on top.

Today's Exercise

Biked SS-UMD via roads (35min)

Biked on campus to bookstore (10min)

Biked UMD-SS via trail (45min)

*UPDATE: 58% of Hatandcoat posts are by Aak. 87% of Districted posts are by me, too. Hatandcoat has posted 33% of all posts, when you combine the two.

**Menmi is a soy-sauce-derived noodle base. It is more flavorful than soy sauce. It is delicious! I like it on udon, soba, natto, rice, just about anything you'd normally put soy sauce on.

2 comments:

chovak said...

80% of all Hatandcoat comments are from either me or Missy.

Missy said...

Weight Watchers preaches the "Wait 20 minutes" rule to make sure you're still hungry, so maybe there's something behind that one? Who knows.