Friday, February 20, 2009

Black Bean Hummus

My roommate had a book club meeting at our house tonight. (Book was Year of Wonders.)

In the kitchen, I saw her chop up a heaping bowl of celery, dump out a heaping bowl of baby carrots, and pour a heaping bowl of bagel chips, all to go with one shallow-size container of plain hummus. I mentioned that there wasn't much dip for all the dippers, and she said, "Do you want to run out to the store to buy some?" (Tensions were running high, since this was just prior to everyone's arrival.)

I said, "No, but I can make some black bean hummus."

Black Bean Hummus
  • one can of black beans
  • some lemon juice
  • one clove of garlic
  • a little tahini
  • a little cumin
  • a little cayenne pepper
  • a little kosher salt
  • a little ground black pepper
I don't own a food processor, only a blender, so I did it in two parts to be sure I didn't get stuck.

Fork out half the beans into the blender, and pour in half the liquid in the can.

Crush and mince a clove of garlic (crush means flatten it by pressing down on the flat of your big knife). Add half the mince garlic to the blender.

Mix up your tahini (mine had separated, but that's okay) and drizzle at most a teaspoon, but err on the side of too little.

Grind up some pepper into the blender, and sprinkle a little cayenne pepper as well. Add more cumin than both of the peppers together. Then sprinkle just a little salt.

Stir.

Blend.

Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.


I'll let you know later how the book group liked it.

1 comment:

chovak said...

The hummus was well-liked.