Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Program

Success!

From hardly ever biking in November and December, and from overeating on the holidays, I got a bit... chunky. As I don't weigh myself, my best way to express this is in pants sizes. I went from my normal tight-34 waistline to a medium 36. I even had to put on my loose-fit 36 pair for a few weeks to breathe.

I implemented a plan to decrease my waist: no snacking.

For over a year, I'd been snacking between meals pretty frequently. This was okay for me since I was exercising at the gym as well as biking a lot. But the idea of snacking between meals is designed to make your big meals a little smaller. I never did that part of it. Plus, my "snacks" ballooned into little meals, or "prandicles." I never had much impulse control.

So I decided this January to cut out all the snacks. Exceptions only to be made when there would be a stretch of 6 hours or more between meals. My three meals are reasonably-sized; I try to stick to single-servings. I've also been biking at least two days a week for the past three weeks, and, when I am not biking, I'm walking quite a bit of the day (to the shuttle, to classes, and back.

As of this week, I've been able to fit back into the 34-size jeans without problem.

I'm excited about this, but I also realize that it took me over a month to get back down. I'm planning on implementing more exercise every week. And, since this blog seems so vacant these days, I guess I'll document my progress here.

Today's Meals:

Breakfast: a bowl of Puffins with plain yogurt.
Lunch: one slice of french toast, Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
Snack: a cube of parmesan and a handful of raw almonds
Dinner: leftover chicken/spinach/paneer curry w/rice, 8 gyoza (steamed then fried)

Today's Exercise:

Walked for 20 minutes or so down to Sligo Creek and back.

3 comments:

chovak said...

Comment already!

Missy said...

Meawhile, I have to snack at least once a day (usually in the 3 p.m./4 range) to lose weight; otherwise I overeat during meals.

Glad your plan is working for you!

chovak said...

Thanks!

Snacking isn't bad. At all. It's just that I figured out where my weak spot was: no portion control on the snacks, and no reduction of the meal size.