Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad

(Where the F is Mr. Hatandcoat? His last post here was 1/27. That's almost two weeks ago. I'm close to saying this is a defunct blog. I might just take it over as my own food blog.)

I saw a grapefruit and avocado salad recipe somewhere in my million-strong Google Reader feeds. Then I saw grapefruit (really nice-looking and -smelling grapefruit) on sale for 50 cents each at Giant. I decided to give this salad a go.

Grapefruit and Avocado Salad (beta)
  • 1/2 grapefruit, no white bitter stuff
  • 1/2 avocado, diced in kinda big chunks
  • three leaves of red lettuce
  • one knife's shredding of radicchio
  • handful of walnuts
  • olive oil
  • honey
  • red wine vinegar
  • lemon juice
  • kosher salt
  • pepper
I put the leafy stuff in the bottom of my bowl, then put the grapefruit and avocado on top with a few walnut crumbles just for the heck of it.

The rest of the ingredients were for the dressing. It was about 40% olive oil, 30% honey, 15% lemon juice and 15% red wine vinegar, with a small sprinkling of kosher salt and pepper. When I tasted the mixture, it was like BAM vinegar BOOM honey BAP salt ZING pepper. After a few minutes, the flavors settled into sweet citrus with a tang.

Know Problems and Bugs (with the beta version):
  1. The dressing was not quite what I wanted here. Too sweet.
  2. The avocado was practically nonexistent. I couldn't taste it at all with all the flavors competing around it.
Planned Fixes
  1. Try a saltier dressing to contrast with the grapefruit's juicy citrus and to bring out the avocado. I'm thinking something with a soy sauce base.
  2. Try putting less of the dressing on it. My leaves were swimming by the end of it.

2 comments:

chovak said...

Comment whydoncha.

Missy said...

Jess's salad, which I put on my blog, had grapefruit and avocado with it. She just did an olive oil/lemon juice dressing, so that'd help with your sweetness issue. Try adding pomegranate!